Scottish Fall Short Under Bedford Lights

30th January 2024

It was another agonizing defeat for London Scottish as they fell to a 32-25 loss against Championship top four side Bedford in front of a capacity crowd at Goldington Road.

It was Bedford who made the early running the game looking to spread the ball wide and test the London Scottish outside channels. The Exiles stood up in the first instance and managed to get down in the Bedford half to take three points through the boot of Alec Lloyd-Seed. Sadly the Scottish fly half would have the leave the field shortly afterwards thanks to a leg injury.

Bedford though would quickly hit back with a great try in the corner following some excellent hands and offloading ability. Bedford looked to be in for the second when Hayden Hyde came up with a sensational intercept from his own line to score under the posts and retake the lead for the Scots.

However, Bedford would quickly re apply the pressure and forced a cynical penalty from captain Dan Nutton. He would be sent to the sin bin and the Blues would score in the corner from the resulting scrum making the most of their extra man.

The home side would then add to their lead and score again down the right hand side making Scottish pay for their ill discipline. However, when Nutton returned to the field, London Scottish would hit their stride and scored a well worked try under the sticks after a sustained period of pressure on the half time whistle.

The second half was a see-sawing affair as both sides look to take control of the game but were well aware that one mistake could cost them. Bedford hit the front first in the second half through another expansive try this time down the left hand side.

Connor Slevin would close the gap with a penalty on 56 minutes to take the score to 22-20. However, Bedford would extend their lead with after a strong period of pressure on the Scottish line.

With just 15 minutes on the clock, Scottish made things tense as Will Brown found space in the right hand corner to dive in off the back of a rolling maul. However, the conversion sailed wide leaving the score at 29-25 to the hosts.

Scottish had their chances in the final exchanges of the game but failed to convert. Bedford would ultimately see the game out through a penalty in the final seconds of the game.

SubscrIbe for the latest news and offers direct to your inbox.