Under-13s Hold Nerve To Move Top Of The Table

11th January 2015

London Scottish under-13s moved to the top of their league on Sunday afternoon following a thrilling 19-17 victory over previous leaders Ampthill.

The Scots were 19-0 up at half-time and survived a brave Ampthill fight back to secure victory.

Before today, only one point separated the two teams and this game between 2nd and 1st was decided in tense fashion at the Old Athletic Ground.

 In the first six minutes Scottish rarely touched the ball, Ampthill were forcing heavy tackles from Eli, Thomas, Cameron and Charlie.

However, Scottish scored the first try after seven minutes.

After a breakdown at a ruck the ball came out to the right wing, Mark who cut back inside and passed to loose head prop, Thomas.

He rampaged through the middle of the Ampthill defence to score under the posts.

Cameron stepped up to take the simple conversion and made no mistake, slotting it straight through the posts.

Just six minutes later, Marcel unleashed his electric pace down the right wing and put another five points on the board by the corner flag.

Unfortunately, the conversion this time was too far out for Cameron.

Four minutes before the break, Marcel once again proved too much for the Ampthill defence as he ran half the pitch to score under the posts, a move started by Jacob who gathered a kick on his own five metre line.

Rocco converted and at half time, Scottish led 19-0.

The second half was a different story.

Ampthill, as they stepped onto the field for the second half, were pressing the Scottish 22 and then the five metre line, scoring 12 minutes into the second half for a well-deserved try.

Six minutes later, the Ampthill forwards sent another wave of attack which Scottish could not cope with.

This time, the fly half, made no mistake and converted his team’s try.

The pressure was now on.

London Scottish knew that Ampthill needed one converted try and they would be level.

Late on, Ampthill made superb breaks forcing equally good tackles.

With Scottish tiring, they let the Ampthill inside centre through to score in the corner.

The conversion fell short and London Scottish restarted play.

As soon as the ball was caught, Ampthill sprinted down the wing forcing an excellent tackle from Thomas.

Once again, London Scottish were deep inside their own half.

Then, flanker Konrad did brilliantly to turn over the ball but was instantly the victim of a tackle around the neck.

The clock had gone red and London Scottish had a penalty.

Cameron picked up the ball and gently kicked it into touch.

Referee Doug Cowie blew the final whistle and London Scottish celebrated.

It really was a breath-taking game and despite the superb running in Ampthill’s brilliant second half, it was London Scottish who came out on top.


SubscrIbe for the latest news and offers direct to your inbox.