Under 18s go top after defeat of Fullerians

16th March 2015

London Scottish U18s secured an important 39-5 victory at Fullerians on Sunday to move top of Herts Middlesex Division Two.

A near full strength squad travelled north to play a spirited Fullerians side knowing a win would leave them in pole position to be champions this season. 

The conditions were ideal and a firm track allowed London Scottish to implement their game plan from the first whistle.

Good driving play from the forwards set up the first try of the afternoon as blindside flanker Kas Eelman peeled off the back of a line out drive to dot down.

The kick was narrowly missed by fly half Fin Robjohn albeit from the sideline. 

The forwards continued to dominate the Fullerians pack in all facets of the game and it wasn't long before another solid drive for the line resulted in a try, this time to open side flanker Dean Oliver.

Some stern words under the posts from the Fullerians coaches resulted in their side coming back quickly to attempt a cheeky kick off move.

Unfortunately for them their kick was fielded by team captain Tom Henfrey who took off on a barnstorming run down the sideline.

Four would be tacklers were brushed aside before Tom gave a lovely off load inside to second row Tristian Davies who drew two more defenders before passing to Fred Foot who ran in under the sticks for a great try – swan dive and all! 

The Fullerians side then came back very strongly, built pressure and gained good field position to keep the London Scottish side pinned on their own line for a long passage of play.

Repeated infringements at the break down and some questionable refereeing resulted in Malik Touilzak being sent to the bin for the remainder of the first half.

Heroic defence couldn't quite kept the try line intact and it wasn't long before Fullerians burst over the line for their only score of the game.

From the resulting re-start Scotty Rees made a scathing run down the sideline to out pace all of the covering defence and score in the corner.

London Scottish went into half-time 22-5 to the good with the game their for the taking. 
As expected, the Fullerians side came back strongly in the second half but they could not cope with the physicality of the Scottish pack.

With the impact players coming on, the intensity stepped up another gear.

Even an impromptu pitch change due to an injury to a Fullerians player could not halt the momentum the Scottish pack had created.
Possession was turned into points midway through the second half as Scotty Rees ran in his second try of the match from the halfway line.

With the full time whistle on the horizon it was the turn of second row Cam Coventry to burst over the line off the back of some excellent inter play from the forwards.

The two points were added by Ed Sanderson who had a strong game on the right wing.

With moments to go in the match it was Scotty Rees yet again on the end of well worked backs move who ran in a 70m finish to make the final score 39-5.

Thanks to all of the supporters for making the journey and for their vocal encouragement from the sideline

Man of the Match – Scotty Rees

Come down and support the lads at their final league match on Sunday, March 29, at the RAA

SubscrIbe for the latest news and offers direct to your inbox.