Vikings Overcome Highlanders In Local Derby

16th December 2014

The club knew that moving the Highlanders up to Shield 1 where the London Scottish 2nd team used to play meant it was going to be a very challenging season.

The challenges don’t come tougher than against the regular winners of Shield 1, Richmond Vikings.
The rearranged game  from earlier this season at The Athletic Ground got going in the 11th minute when the Vikings scored a try.
With both teams trying to get field position early, a Richmond kick was fielded by left winger Aremu who started a good counter attack, beating a few defenders.
Captain and tight head prop Cameron Leigh set up an attack inside the Richmond 22.
The ball was moved down the line for a promising attack but loosehead prop Nwakor’s offload did not go to hand 15 metres from Richmond’s line.
At the following scrum, the Richmond Number Eight picked and went blind but was defended well and Richmond went for the box kick to exit.
Right winger Asembo took the high ball comfortably and started his attack beating a host of defenders to move the ball to centres Doneghan and Simmons in midfield who fed Wycherley who then gave Aremu the chance to sprint in to score in the left corner.
Now it was 5-all and Scottish were back in the game.
A harsh penalty on the Highlanders 22 set up a Richmond lineout 5 metres out but Scottish held out in defence for four minutes while Richmond were hammering the Highlanders line.
Eventually Richmond did drive over in the 28th minute to lead 10-5.
A penalty from the restart got Scottish 15 metres from the line for an attacking lineout that was driven at first then came out for Wycherley to play Asembo (now at 13) on a great line in midfield.
In turn he threw a pass that was unfortunately intercepted five metres out and Richmond were safe.
A few minutes later Richmond kicked through to win the chase to score their third try of the game leading 17-5 with 33 minutes played.
A yellow card followed to Scottish after Aremu failed to roll away after he made a brave tackle and in the process injured his neck.
Nervous time followed with Richmond attacking through a set piece drive and Scottish having to defend with 14 men.
Scottish soon forced an attacking line-out 15 metres from Richmond's line and after a powerful drive, the referee awarded a penalty try to the Scots for 17-10 at the break.
Starting the half with 14 men, Scottish had to keep the ball in hand and two minutes after the break a good Highlanders lineout inside their own half gave the platform to attack.
Centre Simmons dummied and went through a gap to draw the last man to send Asembo on the race for the corner but the pass went forward.
Richmond  eventually made their one man advantage count to score, 22-10.
Scottish hit back after a promising Richmond attack was stopped by a brilliant turnover deep in the Scottish half.
This set-up some front foot ball, the ball finding Simmons from scrum-half Robertson and his wide pass found Leigh in the tram lines.
Leigh's perfect dummy gained him some extra yards before offloading to Richards to win the race to the try-line with Wycherley adding the extras making it 22-17. Arguably the try of the afternoon.

Another yellow followed for Scottish and 15 minutes from the end Richmond scored a try from a drive, followed by another two (69th and 77th minute) making the final score 41-17 in favour of the Vikings.
Nevertheless it was an encouraging performance by a London Scottish side that will travel to Ampthill before Christmas looking for a win before the short Christmas break.

SubscrIbe for the latest news and offers direct to your inbox.