Highlanders beaten at Barnes

24th September 2013

The Highlanders continue to search for a first Shield Two win this season after their third run out resulted in a 45-21 loss to Barnes 2nd XV at Barn Elms Playing Fields.

The score might suggest that Barnes had it all their way for the whole game while in fact the Highlanders was the team with the initiative for most of the first half and the start of the second.

Scottish scored in the third minute through centre Tommy Cottrell after an overthrow in the line-out on the Barnes 22m where a ruck was formed and played out to fly-half James Lang.

He got through a half gap to set up the next phase and from the quick ball 10m out Cottrell stepped inside the defenders to score under the posts, converted by Lang.

Barnes got a try back from a poor grubber kick by Scottish that was deflected and gathered by their left winger to race over for the score.

The best passage of play for Scottish came a few minutes later.

From an attacking line-out an overthrow was collected by Cameron Leigh to set up the ruck from which the forwards took it up again through Conor Turner.

Play changed direction with Chris Asembo worked off his left wing to take a short ball off Lang to break the line.

This was stopped inches from the line although Dan Neal was at hand to drive over for a well taken try.

With the score at 7-14 Scottish was in control of the game but a couple of mistakes let Barnes back into Scottish territory.

Five minutes before half time Conor Turner, loosehead prop, had to leave the pitch due to a knee injury and with the scrum under pressure the referee penalised Scottish for feeding and Barnes acted quickly with a tap and drive to score.

Barnes did not convert the try but another penalty saw Barnes converting it into points to lead 15-14 at half time.

London Scottish was determined to make it their day and started the second half by applying pressure from the restart and second row Luke Thompson pounced on a loose ball, which set up a ruck 35m out.

Scrum half Tom Trotter span the ball to a storming Sam Matanle weaving his way through the defence to score under the post for Lang to convert.

The positive start did not last long as five minutes later a scrum penalty against Scottish saw Barnes scoring a try from a line-out drive from ten metres out.

With the score now at 22-21 for Barnes and the Scottish scrum being heavily penalised and under pressure, the game started to turn for Barnes.

Another scrum penalty resulted in the same outcome with a try from a line-out drive.

Barnes added two more tries and a penalty took the game out of Scottish's reach as the full time score read 45-21 for the home team.

The Highlanders can feel frustrated in their performance in the second half as their first half's effort showed what they are capable of when keeping to the team patterns.

Man of the match for London Scottish: Dan Neal (hooker)

This coming Saturday the Highlanders are welcoming Tonnbridge Juddians 2s to The Athletic Ground for a 2.30pm kick-off.


SubscrIbe for the latest news and offers direct to your inbox.