Scottish Hang On To Down Hartpury Under the Lights

08th April 2024

Under the Friday Night Lights in the first weekend of April, Bryan Redpath’s men recorded their second victory of the season as the Exiles defeated Hartpury 29-26 at the RAG. It had been a long time coming after six losing bonus points and five final minute defeats, the Exiles were ready to break that duck.

The Exiles began the opening salvo on top, battering the Hartpury line but the away side defended manfully for the first 10 minutes or so. However, after a missed penalty eventually Harry Sheppard put Will Talbot-Davies through a hole in the midfield. He would offload to Will Brown to open the scoring on the right hand side.

However, this would spark Hartpury into life. Ill discipline by the hosts allowed the away side into their 22. This meant Hartpury’s famed driving maul could come into the game. The away side would score two quick tries to retake the lead just before the half hour mark.

However, in what turned into a seesawing match, London Scottish hit back. First through Jack Ingall who bashed through from short range following a collapsed driving maul. Then quickly off turnover ball, Will Hobson would break down the middle before the ball was shipped wide to Austin Wallis to crash over the line to retake the lead.

Scottish would hold out just before the break after a period of pressure just before the whistle to got to the sheds 21-14 ahead. The other side of the break an excellent scrum move allowed Noah Ferdinand to finish well in the right hand corner to extend the lead.

A follow up penalty from Harry Sheppard would take the lead to eight points and outside of two scores. However, Hartpury would quickly cut the gap to just three points after an excellent score in the left hand corner.

What followed was an endless onslaught from Hartpury as they chased the score that would see them take the lead and likely the game. However, the defence from the Exiles was up to the task. Repelling wave after wave of attacks on their own line. Eventually this would all culminate on a scrum on the Scottish line.

Tom Osborne managed to get the better of his opposite man and win the penalty allowing Harry Sheppard to kick to touch and end the game.

A huge victory in the context of this side’s growth. After a number of very tight defeats earlier in the year, Friday night was an important step on the Club’s journey. With five more games left in the season, confidence is now high as to where this side can go.

SubscrIbe for the latest news and offers direct to your inbox.